Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Fun, fellowship & friends Oakland style

This past weekend we went with 3 other friends to Oakland to see an Angels vs A's game. It was the last Sat game for these teams for the season. The Angels have already won their division and according to someone very close to me (I'm not naming names), they're World Series bound. So, as you might guess, we were rooting for the Angels...at least most of us were. The Angels won 3-2. Although it's nice to have your team win, it's fun just to be in the ballpark. We had great seats--the next level above field level.

Here's three of us sitting at McAfee stadium

Two more baseball fans...both are A's fan but we like them anyways!
The Angels at bat

Batter up....

The big baseball picture


After the game, we took Bart into SF and had dinner down at the wharf. I think I must have had at least 3-4 pieces of sourdough bread before my meal even came. There's just something about sourdough bread from SF!

The Bay Bridge at sunset...

We spent that night in Oakland and went the next day to Jack London Square. We went to this cool place which had a ton of old memorabilia on the walls & ceiling. Although it operates as a bar, it's full of history and the bartender had a lot of great stories to tell us. Jack London spent a lot of time there after school while his Mom was at work & the bartender saw that he did his homework & kept after him. Lots of history (esp Jack London history) around that place. Very cool!!

Here's the outside of the historical spot..I think I remember hearing it was built in the 1880's.

This clock stopped when they had the 1906 Fire & Earthquake and they have it on display. It's been in this bar ever since!

After lunch, we decided to go check out this ship that used to be used as a lighthouse ship. We took a tour of it & it was pretty neat. I always thought the only lighthouses were stationary ones...but I guess they used several ships in the past as lighthouses also. All of them are now decomissioned but it was neat to hear about the ship's use and history


All in all it was a fun weekend....

Love to all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Angels!
Kim

Anonymous said...

I so miss Jack London Square. My wife and I used to go to the farmers market there every Sunday during the summer, then hit a movie sometimes, have lunch at El Torito or another place in the area, and browsed the books at the B&N. Ah the memories! I am glad you had a great time.

Bill